my name is Karl. I have more than 21 years of experience in teaching English and Biology to High School and University students. As your private tutor, I will evaluate your needs and wishes and tailor classes and materials according to these needs together with you and/or your guardians. I also support my students with direct preparation and practice for school/university assignments. Teaching is online/remote via Skype or Zoom according to what suits you best.
My specialities include English Academic- and Essay Writing, English Grammar, English Vocabulary and Reading Skills including studying and understanding English literature, English Pronunciation and Speaking Skills, Accent Reduction, and Critical Thinking.
Common Curricula/Syllabus taught:
IB English Language and Literature SL/HL levels, IB Theory of Knowledge, IB Extended Essay, IB Biology SL/HL levels, A-level English and Biology, AP (Advanced Placement) English and Biology, SAT II Biology, TOEFL and IELTS Test Preparation, in addition to General Biology at tertiary (university) levels.
My credentials can briefly be seen below.
• PhD in Biology, Uppsala University, Sweden, 2010
• Master of Science (MSc) in Life and Earth Sciences, Stockholm and Uppsala University, 2005
• Master of Education (MEd) in English and Swedish Languages and Literature, Stockholm University, 1995
• 15 years as an English Lecturer in Swedish High schools, Private Tutorial Companies in Hong Kong SAR, and The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK), 1995-2005, 2015-2020
• 12 years as Biology Lecturer at Uppsala University, Sweden, and in Private Tutorial Companies in Hong Kong SAR, 2005-2016, 2021
• 2 years as a private tutor in English and Biology in Hong Kong SAR and The Philippines, 2021-present.
Never ever read a translation of an English book again - learn how to use a dictionary efficiently instead; speak only English when going about your daily businesses and tasks - only use your native language as a last resort; watch a lot of English-speaking movies and TV series, but only with English subtitles. Especially comedy shows are useful in this respect since comedy includes a lot of play with language - if you find yourself laughing, you are studying and learning English! After a while, you will see that you don't even need the English subtitles anymore.
Yes, if you immerse yourself in the language on a daily basis. However, to write well in English is a tall order; many native English speakers also struggle with this. Call it an art, if you wish. That being said, we can all get better at expressing ourselves in writing with targeted practice and appropriate support.
for 5 more
Tutor available for online lessons or in-person private lessons in the following areas:
If the selected tutor is not available, feel free to contact more tutors: